Refined and Fly

Monday, July 30, 2007

THE NAACP BURIES THE N WORD...SO WHAT?!

Peace! I build all is well with everyone. I just had to comment on this. So the NAACP (Still the National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People!) choses to take the time to have a ceremonial burial for the N Word. Hey, sometimes symbolism is good...symbolic gestures can convey a greater meaning to those who are actually concerned about the meaning, understand it and will apply it. However, what is the point with this exactly?

Now understand, I am someone who does not use the word "nigga" in my vocabulary. Haven't since I was young (I tried due to peer pressure, but it just didn't sound right so I stopped) and even wrote a poem at one point against its common use. Even at my program, the word "nigga" is restricted (among other words, and I remember doing a whole presentation on why). I do not refer to any man, woman or child as "niggas" and I probably never will and I'm okay with that(although my God has an interesting perspective on it that I can't really disagree with...I'll leave that blog to him). Maybe if I was still in that space of ridin on everybody who says "nigga", I'd support the NAACP's efforts more or truly think that the burial is a step to achieving something great.

Do they, or anyone for that matter, truly think that having a burial for the word "nigga" from an organization that many who probably use the word deem rather irrelevant, is going to effect its' usage in the lexicon of popular culture? Is it gonna stop the everyday kids playin with broken bottles and firecrackers on the 4th of July when it's illegal, from callin themselves niggas when they hear it everyday, not just on the radio or videos, but on the street? In school? At the house? The word "nigga" is a worldwide phenomenon and I don't advocate its' usage. And on the one, somebody has to think its important enough to try to work on it if that's what they see fit. I'm just thinkin there are larger things to focus on, especially of an organization of this stature. And are they at least building with young people directly and introducing other things to call each other? If you remove somethin, you have to put somethin in its place. Even if Russell Simmons wants to ban certain words coming out on albums...too little too late. The word officially has a life of its own (due to the life we gave it) and has for some time now. And why do this now after all the Imus controversy? To me, it just comes off as opportunistic damage control.

Although the NAACP hasn't gone anywhere technically, for them to come back into the public eye (read: publicity) based on this kind of issue, as part of the ripple effect of Imus and others, is pretty lame to me. Are we just that unfocused or unorganized that we're just lost, not knowing what issue to focus on? I stress PRIORITIZE! A lot of kids see themselves as niggas cuz they're living a way of life that reflects oppression, and trying to beat odds when the cards are stacked against them. A life change may bring about a change in self-definition. I couldn't truly see myself as the Earth if I didn't change some things about my life so that my life would be in tune with what I am calling myself. You have to look at how a person, place or thing was made. Change the conditions of those who see themselves as "niggas" and they may not consider themselves "niggas" anymore.

EDUCATION
ECONOMICS
HOUSING
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM
HEALTH

These are a few issues worthy of working on. They can never get too much publicity and too much work can never be done.

P.lease E.valute A.ll C.orny E.vents (PEACE!)

I Medina Peaceful Earth

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home