Refined and Fly

Thursday, May 25, 2006

WHEN YOU GET MAD

Peace. The other day, I was listening to the radio and the Ne-Yo song, "When You Get Mad" came on. It has a nice little beat and smooth melodies happenin.' It's like one of those role your windows down on a sunny day and let the wind hit your face with some stunna shades on kind of grooves. Then, I decided to actually listen to the lyrics of the song. Although I know where the brotha is coming from, that shit is promoting some dysfunctional behavior, especially to the babies cause in real life in most situations, if a woman goes off and gets mad and starts yellin' and hittin' on a brotha, she will likely get hit back or at least shook and it is not funny, cute or sexy. I mean, do you hear women making songs about how cute it is when her man gets mad and hits on her? Do we think that's sexy? I beg your pardon, I have never heard of one.

Our people have issues with domestic violence (physical, mental and emotional abuse...from man to woman and woman to man) and although this song does not cause it, it doesn't necessarily promote healthy relationships. I am not one to let a woman off the hook for just "goin' off" on somebody and a man does not have the right to defend himself because she is a woman and has lost control of her emotions. If I hit a man, although he may not do it due to socialization ("don't hit girls"), I fully expect him to hit me back.

Sometimes, me and the God will do the knowledge to rap and R&B videos and turn the sound off and really peep how crazy those images look (try it and see for yourself). When the music is on, you might be into the song and overlook the images a bit, because you are focused on the whole experience (song, words, beat, video). But when you just watch the images in silence, you realize how impactful word sound power is.

Below, I posted the lyrics to the Ne-Yo song for similar reasons. When you read the lyrics without the beat and the melody, you see it for what it is, and realize that the Devil sure has fooled us...

verse 1:
Its just the cutest thang when you get to fussin (cussin)
Yellin and throwin thangs
I just wanna eat you up
I don't mean no disrespect when i start starin
Knowin that it makes you madder
I'm sorry but seein you mad is so sexy yea

chorus:
Could it be the little rinkle over your nose (when you make your angry face)
That makes me wanna just take off all your clothes(and sex you all over the place) yea
Could it be the little way you storm around (that makes me wanna tear you down)
Baby I aint sure but one thing that i do know is every time you scream at me (i want to kiss you)
And when you put your hands on me (i want to touch you)
And when we get to arguing (just gotta kiss you)
Baby i dont know why its like that because your so damn sexy (when you're mad)

verse2:
Baby don't think i dont take you seriously
But i just cant help the fact your attitude excites me (so exciting)
And you know there ain't nothing better
Than when we get mad together and have angry sex (i blow you out)
Then we forget what we were mad about
Ohhh

CHORUS till end of song

Now, you just can't let emotions rule the cipher like that...one minute you throwin' plates at each other, next minute, you in the bed, going from one heightened emotional state to the next. I am the land of understanding, thereforeI have a lot of it for people and their situations, but this has got to stop! Not to mention if babies are in the cipher...what kinds of emotional confusion will they bring into their relationships when they get older from seeing that example?

*And note to those who post lyrics on web-sites. Please do a spell check before you post them. This had way too many typos.

Peace and Balance in Our Families

1 Comments:

  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Justice said…

    Peace Earth,

    I just peeped that video yesterday, that s#@% is crazy! Thank you for adding on about that reality.

    Peace

     

Post a Comment

<< Home